FDA warns illness linked to select Blue Bell confections
DALLAS (AP) — Blue Bell has ordered a recall of some single-serve ice cream products after five people developed a foodborne illness in Kansas after eating the products.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration says three of the five people who developed listeriosis after eating certain Blue Bell frozen treats have died. The affected products were made on a single production line at Blue Bell's Brenham, Texas, creamery.
The FDA advisory says listeria bacteria were found in samples of Blue Bell Chocolate Chip Country Cookies, Great Divide Bars, Sour Pop Green Apple Bars, Cotton Candy Bars, Scoops, Vanilla Stick Slices, Almond Bars and No Sugar Added Moo Bars.
Blue Bell says its regular Moo Bars were untainted, as were its half gallons, quarts, pints, cups, three-gallon ice cream and take-home frozen snack novelties.