Chief: LA port fire sparked by welding torch
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The city's fire chief says a smoldering fire that forced about 850 people to evacuate from a wharf at the Port of Los Angeles was caused by a spark from a welder's torch.
Two nearby elementary schools have been closed for the day as a precaution.
Chief Ralph Terrazas says it could take until Tuesday afternoon or evening for crews to extinguish the blaze. More than 12 hours after the blaze started, a huge plume of smoke is still drifting over Los Angeles Harbor.
Officials say 150 firefighters had the bulk of the blaze contained about 2 ½ hours after it broke out Monday night, but stubborn flames underneath the docks proved hard to reach.
The fire burned a warehouse and about 150 feet of the dock.
No injuries were reported.