'60 MINUTES' IS REVIEWING DISCREDITED BENGHAZI REPORT
c.2013 New York Times News Service
“60 Minutes” announced Wednesday that it was conducting an internal review of its now-discredited report on the terrorist attacks in Benghazi, Libya.
The spokesman for the CBS News program, Kevin Tedesco, issued a statement that offered no details about what exactly would be examined in the report, broadcast Oct. 27, that the network retracted last week. The statement said only: “The moment we confirmed there was an issue in our story, we began a journalistic review that is ongoing.”
On Sunday night, when Lara Logan, the correspondent on the report, offered a brief on-air apology, there was no mention of any further action the show might be taking.
In that appearance at the end of Sunday’s show, Logan said that Dylan Davies, one of the main sources for the Benghazi report, had misled the program’s staff.
“It was a mistake to include him in our report. For that, we are very sorry,” Logan said.
Wednesday’s statement was first released to the McClatchy News Service in response to an inquiry about any further action “60 Minutes” might be taking in light of the collapse of the Benghazi report.