HONOLULU (AP) - Hawaii County's top prosecutor says he will dismiss charges against about 10 of the 31 protesters who were arrested while blocking construction of a giant telescope on Mauna Kea.

HONOLULU (AP) Hawaii County's top prosecutor says he will dismiss charges against about 10 of the 31 protesters who were arrested while blocking construction of a giant telescope on Mauna Kea.

Prosecuting Attorney Mitch Roth told The Associated Press on Friday he will drop the cases against those charged with trespassing. He says his office might decide to re-file the cases later.

The remaining people arrested last month were charged with obstruction of government operations.

Opposition has been mounting against the planned Thirty Meter Telescope near the summit of a mountain held sacred by Native Hawaiians. The $1.4 billion project would be one of the world's largest telescopes.

Roth declined to say why he's moving to drop some cases, but he noted the charges warrant further investigation.