100 Years Ago (1918)

Heeding the call to register for duty in the armed service, a total of 4,205 men from Alliance reported. Adding in those outside the city and there were 5,384 total registrants in Stark County District No. 2.

75 Years Ago (1943)

Harley H. Zeigler, who had resigned his post as associate professor of the Mount Union College Cornelius Aultman Chair of Religion to accept a position at the University of Hawaii in Honolulu, was to be replaced by William R. Locke, pastor of the Tilton (New Hampshire) First Methodist Church. Zeigler had joined the Mount Union faculty in 1936.

In kicking off an effort to raise $2,500 in 25 days to purchase an ambulance for the army, members of the Roumanian-American Alliance for Democracy held a patriotic rally at its hall at 725 Ash Street and raised $1,8000 in two hours. The organization was planning to use $2,000 for the purchase of the ambulance and the other $500 to purchase some small gifts for the 80 men and women from the group serving in the armed forces.

Sebring was preparing for its annual Festival of the Volunteer Fire Department, which had "a mardi gras atmosphere" as two blocks of Oregon Avenue between 14th Street and 16th Street featured booths of every kind. The festival dated back to just a few years after the founding of Sebring when it was organized by the Harvest Home Association and most of the funds were made by horse racing. Over time, it helped the American Legion build a post home on Ohio Avenue and then gave way to the firemen, according to Fire Chief Frank Timmer. The chief noted in the early days of the original festival there moved a figure, now almost a legend, who was called "Ma Gautos" by the older settlers. Little was remembered about her in 1943 but it was said that she used to climb the telephone poles along 15th Street to help put up the flags.

50 Years Ago (1968)

Earl D. Bair, a prominent Alliance attorney for 51 years who also served as the Alliance municipal court’s first clerk for nine months in 1918, died at the age of 74 at his home in the 400 block of East College Street.

25 Years Ago (1993)

Approximately 150 people turned out for the dedication of a $125,000 addition to the Washington Township Fire Station. The ribbon was cut using a fire ax.