On July 1, 1871, theColumbus Dispatchdebuted as a four-page newspaper calledThe Daily Dispatch.For three cents, readers could catch up on the afternoon news.
The paper was founded by a group of 10 veteran printers with $900 in capital and was published from a rented building at N. High and Lynn Alley, according to Linda Deitch, archive and collections manager for the Columbus Dispatch Library. The first Sunday Dispatch published on Dec. 17, 1899.
Brothers Harry P. Wolfe and Robert F. Wolfe bought what by then was called The Columbus Evening Dispatch in 1905. THe Dispatch moved to its current headquarters at 34 S. Third Street in Nov. 1925 and was renamed theThe Columbus Dispatch on March 24, 1975.
More historic Columbus images are available by visiting"A Look Back," the photo/archive blog administered by Deitch and the Dispatch Library staff.